Friday, October 11, 2013

Possible topics for my English paper


Hey guys! I haven’t been on blogger in what feels like aaaaages. And the first thing I am going to post about is the upcoming English paper my class has to write. It can be about anything we like, as long as it is centred in or has to do with the EU. These are the five topics that ended up on my shortlist. Let me know what you think!

 

Influence of European artists on international film score and trailer music
This topic was the first and only topic that came to my mind quite immediately. That is because after taking a single look into my phone’s music library you’ll come across at least a dozen songs taken from movies or movie trailers.
For me, there is nothing cooler than listenting to a movie's soundtrack. I am just mesmerized by the effect of such music and even more fascinated by the people composing it. There are a lot of great European artists, both well known and not well-known, that can easily live up to the music composed by American artists.

Europe’s contribution on famous international literature
Not only American books can enthrall you: There are loads of page-turners out there that have its origin in Europe. Hardly any of them are known at all and spreading the word about them would be the best way to make them popular. So this second topic idea would be my way of doing that, hoping that people might pay more attention to literature from other countries in the future.

Different kinds of contemporary music all over Europe
I am very passionate about music and I love listening to everything from Rock and Indie to Reaggae and Folk. But not all of the bands I like come from outside of Europe. TTL, Agnes Obel and Seeed are european bands, just to name a few. For me, all the different styles and countries represent music and its diversity. It shows how versatile music really is and that every country considers another type of music to be popular or contemporary at the present time.

  Hollywood-worthy: Europe’s most famous movie successes
Everywhere you look, there are famous little movie masterpieces created like e.g. in France, Italy, Great Britain or Germany. I think these films, some highly acclaimed and others not, should get more attention. Independent movies or blockbusters – all of them should be receiving the same amount of attention. It should not be about how big and action-filled the movie is, but about the story that is told.


Euthanasia in Europe:
I consider this topic to be very interesting because it deals with what seems to be a very controversial issue. Is it murder or isn't it ? Should it be allowed or rahter forbidden and punishable ? People are quite torn when they're asked about their attitude towards euthanasia. Getting to know other countries' point of view on that topic would really be interesting and maybe even help me to understand the situation better.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am glad you found music and literature related topics. I think you should cross out the euthanasia topic (more people posted this topic) and focus on your other great ideas.
    All four are really interesting but my favorite one is: Hollywood-worthy: Europe's most famous movie successes. What a great idea! You are absolutely right - European films should get much more attention than they get at the moment. I am sure that there are many amazing movies out there which we will never see because our cinemas are swamped with Hollywood blockbusters. However, it could be difficult to find enough information for your paper. I found this essay for you:
    http://de.slideshare.net/beatrizcebas/beatriz-cebas-national-cinemaessay
    It is 11 pages long, not too difficult and the introduction sounds helpful.
    "Europe’s contribution on famous international literature“ seems similar to "Hollywood-worthy...." - I also like this topic but I think the second one is a bit "easier" (=more information on the internet :)
    "Influence of European artists on international film score and trailer music" is definitely an interesting topic. I too love film music. I researched that my favorite soundtrack (Amélie) was written by a French musician. Amazing :)

    I hope my comments were helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa, your suggested topics are very interesting! As music, movies and literature are subject areas that are part of our everyday life, I’m sure it’s a lot easier to write a text about it. My favourite one is “Europe’s contribution on famous international literature”, because I am a book lover like you and I think that there is a lot to write about. Just think of the EU’s literary history: Brothers Grimm, Brontë sisters, Jane Eyre, Oscar Wilde... Of course, there are also fantastic present European authors. I prefer Cecelia Ahern. Do you know her? She is Irish and writes romantic novels. And have you heard about the EU Prize for Literature? You have enough information to writhe about, so maybe you will have to specify your topic a little.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, your topics all sound awesome! Apparently several people are interested in euthansia, though (ouch, that doesn't sound quite right XD), but thankfully you've got others :)

    ReplyDelete