Sunday, June 2, 2013

Same Love


I’ve just recently heard a song by a currently very popular artist called „Macklemore“. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of him before but maybe his current hit “Thrift shop” or his party song “Can’t hold us” may ring a bell. But none of these two songs are the ones I am referring to. I am talking about his song called “Same love” which I first listened to yesterday and I felt really moved by it. If you want to check it out, I am going to post the link here in the post, and you’ll see that it will have a lot to do with today’s free post.

Okay so first things first: I don’t want to just give you an idea of what the song is about (although the title is pretty much giving it away). I want you to read a paragraph from the song lyrics that I consider especially moving.

“When everybody else
Is more comfortable
Remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans
that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same
But that's not important
No freedom ‘til we're equal”

Okay, now you all know what the track “Same love” is aout. It is about Ben Haggerty’s (the artist behind the stage name “Macklemore”) view on equality and same-sex love. He completely stands 100% behind it and is undoubtedly for the legalisation of same-sex marriage. Throughout the song he mentions the church’s attitude towards the very same topic and other people’s conservative views. He also gives the song a very personal touch by mentioning that he himself thought that he was gay when he was younger. He voices his anger and the unacceptable discrimination (especially the unconscious discrimination) of gay people in everyday life. We might not even notice it anymore but we probably do it as well. Just by saying that something/someone is gay or by calling someone a faggot we contribute to the hate and the discrimination. The following part of the lyrics reflects just that one thing.

“We've become so numb to what we're saying
Our culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots
Behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate.”


Macklemore is an American rap musician who published his first album “The heist” in 2011.Ryan Lewis, who was his producer at the beginnings of his career, soon became a very good friend of his and now they basically produce almost all of their music together. Some call “Macklemore”  the new “Eminem” or the first rapper that writes about meaningful stuff after 2pac. I really never was into rap music but I have to admit that Macklemore changed my mind in that perspective. I love his music, and especially the influence of hip hop. He writes about really touching things and isn’t shy about letting his own experiences act as a  in the music. He is not reluctant to talk about his own life, his experiences and difficulties like e.g. his drug addiction. When watching interviews he always seems very honest, open-minded and smart, which makes him simply seem like a great guy.


If you’re interested in his music, check out his twitter account or his channel on www.youtube.com
And last but not least, my favourite quote from the whole song and my personal reason for admiring “Macklemore & Ryan Lewis”. An unbelievably talented artist that really tries to move people and to change something. I have the deepest respect for you.


None of the videos, pictures or lyrics mentioned above belong to me. They are all © “Macklemore & Ryan Lewis”

No comments:

Post a Comment