Sunday, April 21, 2013

For those little daredevils out there....



During the last few years I found out something really interesting about myself. The little coward that I was (and still am concerning some matters) has obviously meleted into thin air when it comes to one certain thing: adrenaline. This feeling of pure fear and excitement that runs through your veins every time you face a challenge and scares the heck out of you has become my drug. I can assure you though that I have my limits and I am not going past those, but there are a few certain experiences and I am ready and willing to face.
       My reason for being appealed by this certain hormone was triggered a couple of years ago. For my confirmation I could choose to either go paragliding or flying in a powered glider, which was what I eventually chose to do. It was actually an extremely exhilarating experience, flying in loops and dropping from an unimaginable height at extreme speed. The feeling you have when the plane drops is scary, uncomfortable but altogether just really fun. Paragliding though was still a bit too much for my first time adrenaline rush. I think that at that point I was still too young and too scared to even think about trying it out.

       Today I would immediately jump at the chance. Apart from that though, there's another thing on my bucket list: sky diving. I’ve seen a few people do it and heard from a few other people’s experiences and it just sounds enthralling. And I can’t help but wonder what it must feel like to be in this tiny plane thousands of feet above the ground and to look down. What does one feel when you sit on the ledge of the plane’s entrance door with you feet dangling in the air? Your pulse rate must be exploding until you finally – jump – and fly through the air at about 180 km/h. I really just can’t imagine how REALLY terrifying and thrilling it must be.

       So this summer I am going to face a smaller challenge, which I am really looking forward to. In July my dad, my sister, two of my cousins and I will go on a rafting tour. That might sound really dull compared to skydiving but it is actually really cool. You first of all have to jump off a bridge (about 4 or 5 m high) and then you get put into your groups and boats. You can either sit in one of the big rafting boats which offer space for about 8 to 10 people, or a small kayak boat for two. More exciting, and even a little more dangerous, is definitely the kayak because it can easily be overturned. And if you’re really lucky you may also get the chance to rappel down a waterfall. Altogether it is without any doubt going to be a great day. I really can’t wait for it.
       But I really don’t want to talk big here. Who knows whether I am really going to be as brave and daring as I hope? And I usually am really scared when trying out something new like the things I mentioned above. So who knows? But I love the competition and with that, the overcoming of your own fear. So we’ll see what will happen and if I am really going to do it, but everything is always worth a try, now isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment